NCOSS is a member of the NSW Financial Inclusion Network which has just released its priorities for the 2019 State Election. Two million Australians experience severe or high financial stress, with one in five reporting that they cannot raise two thousand dollars in an emergency.
The Financial Inclusion Network election platform highlights the issue of financial exclusion in NSW and calls for the incoming Government to:
- Adopt a whole of government approach to address financial exclusion
- Invest in building financial resilience
- Develop financial inclusion strategies for Aboriginal communities and people living remotely
- Develop innovative programs to intervene early and prevent tenant debt
- Seek urgent action from the federal government to change legislation on payday loans and rent to buy goods