Skip to main content

There are a number of supports available to individuals and communities impacted by the floods in NSW. We have compiled a resource to assist you to access these supports. This resource is a living document and will be updated as needed.

Please note that NCOSS is a peak body and cannot directly provide people with assistance for flood relief. Below are details of key supports and services that can provide immediate assistance. If you wish to volunteer or donate, you can find further information on the Resilience NSW website here

Where to get assistance with flood relief


For general information on disaster assistance in NSW, visit the Resilience NSW website or call the Service NSW Disaster Customer Care Service on 13 77 88. Alternatively, use Service NSW's Disaster Assistance Finder to find out what supports are available to you. You can also visit the Australian Government's Disaster Assist website or contact your Regional Recovery Officer.



  • An updated list of current evacuation centres is available on the NSW State Emergency Services website.
  • Australian Red Cross has launched the online and mobile service Register. Find. Reunite. to let people know you are safe, look for people you know may be affected by an emergency, and enable the Red Cross, with permission, to share details to connect family, friends and loved ones.

Replacing damaged documents (licences, permits, certificates)

Financial support

  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment ($1000 per adult, $400 for each child under 16) and can be claimed by people adversely affected by floods in specific Local Government Areas during March 2021. Call 180 22 66 (or 131 202 for languages other than English) to apply by 20 September 2021.
  • Australian Government Disaster Recovery Allowance is available for people who lost income due to floods in specific Local Government Areas during March 2021. The allowance is provided at the equivalent rate to Jobseeker or Youth Allowance payments for a maximum of 13 weeks. Call 180 22 66 (or 131 202 for languages other than English) to apply by 20 September 2021.
  • NSW Government Disaster Relief Grants are available for eligible individuals and families whose homes and essential household contents have been damaged or destroyed by a natural disaster and are uninsured. Call Service NSW on 13 77 88 and ask about the Disaster Relief Grant administered by Resilience NSW.
  • The NSW Rural Assistance Authority is providing low interest rate loans to non-profit organisations, primary producers, small businesses and sporting and recreation clubs in Local Government Areas affected by a declared natural disaster. Apply online here by the closing date for your area.
  • The NSW Rural Assistance Authority is also providing transport subsidies for eligible farmers affected by natural disasters, to assist with the cost of transporting stock, fodder and water. Apply online here by the closing date for your area.
  • The Australian Taxation Office will assist people affected by floods, for example by deferring tax lodgment or debt payment, helping with lost tax file numbers or records, or remitting any penalties or interest during the time you have been affected. Call the ATO Emergency Support Infoline on 1800 806 218 for assistance.
  • The Australian Banking Association has a list of member banks providing customers with emergency assistance for floods. You can find contact details here.
  • Commonwealth Bank customers impacted by floods are eligible for emergency assistance packages which can include loan assistance, waived fees and emergency accommodation for CommInsure customers. Call 1800 314 695 for assistance.
  • NAB customers who have been affected by floods can apply for a $2000 grant and other assistance including counselling for customers through NAB’s Employee Assistance Program. Call 1300 308 132 for assistance.
  • ANZ customers affected by floods are eligible for financial assistance packages which can include temporary suspension of loan repayments and interest rate relief, and emergency funds and accommodation for ANZ Home and Contents insurance customers. Call 1800 149 549 for assistance.
  • Westpac customers affected by floods are eligible for emergency assistance packages that can include deferring loan and credit repayments. Call 1800 067 497 for assistance.
  • Bendigo Bank customers affected by floods are eligible for relief packages including loan relief for up to 3 months, discounted interest rates on personal loans, and emergency funds and temporary accommodation costs for home and contents insurance customers. Call 1300 236 344 for assistance.
  • The National Debt Helpline is open to provide assistance to those in financial difficulty as a result of the flood crisis. It is a not-for-profit service for people struggling with insurance or other financial matters who need to speak with lawyers and financial counsellors. People can call the helpline for free advice on 1800 007 007, from 9.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.
  • Revenue NSW can assist people impacted by the floods by placing a hold on all fines, debt and Work and Development Orders, extending payment deadlines and lifting driving sanctions. Call on 1300 138 118 for assistance and more information.


  • Airbnb hosts are providing access to free emergency accommodation between 22 March and 8 April 2021 for people impacted by floods. Search for accommodation here.
  • Renters have rights if their home is damaged by disaster. The Tenants Union have advice on disaster damage for renters hereEnter your postcode here to contact your local Tenants’ Advice & Advocacy Service for assistance.


  • The Insurance Council of Australia is operating a 24-hour hotline to help people impacted by the floods with general information about claims and recovery. Call on 1800 734 621 for assistance (note this is not a claim lodgment service).
  • The Insurance Australia Group (IAG) are providing their customers (including customers of NRMA, CGU and WFI) within impacted communities with immediate support including emergency accommodation and financial assistance. Call IAG insurers for assistance:
    • NRMA Insurance: 13 11 23
    • CGU Insurance: 13 24 80
    • WFI Insurance: 1300 934 934
  • icare is available to assist customers with floods, bushfires or COVID-19 support. Call 13 99 22 or email for assistance.

Legal assistance

  • Legal Aid NSW can help people impacted by floods with everyday legal problems including insurance claims and disputes, financial hardship, tenancy and Centrelink. Call on 1800 801 529 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
  • Justice Connect can provide free legal advice and ongoing representation to eligible small businesses, farms and primary producers affected by natural disasters like floods and bushfires. Apply for help here.
  • Community legal centres can help with everyday legal problems like insurance claims, tenancy, Centrelink, lost documents and financial hardship. Find your local community legal centre here.

Mobile and utilities

  • Telstra customers impacted by floods are eligible for relief packages which can include one-off credit, mobile call diversion, a boost to data and free calls as well as reconnection support to those impacted across the New England, North Coast and Mid North Coast, as well as the Newcastle, Hunter and Central Coast regions. Call 132 203 to register.
  • Optus customers impacted by floods are eligible for relief measures including additional data, free credit and bill waivers. Optus is also providing localised support at evacuation centres in Port Macquarie, Laurieton, Taree and Kempsey including complimentary mobile devices and pre-paid recharge vouchers. Call 1800 507 581 between 8am – 8pm (Mon-Fri) and 9am – 5pm (Sat).
  • Vodafone customers impacted by floods are eligible for 10GB bonus data and free access to emergency websites in addition to other hardship support options. Call 1555 from your Vodafone mobile phone to get the bonus data or call 1300 650 405 for assistance.
  • Simply Energy customers in impacted areas should already have had their invoice period extended by 35 days. Other payment options and financial hardship options are also available. Call 13 88 08 for assistance.

Food and clothing

Child care

Pets and livestock

  • The NSW Department of Primary Industries and Local Land Services are providing assistance to landholders and communities with animal welfare-related issues, including veterinary assistance, emergency fodder and stock water, stock euthanasia and burial, and care of animals in evacuation centres. Call the Agricultural and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.
  • WIRES has issued wildlife assistance advice for helping waterlogged animals. Call 1300 094 737 for further advice.
  • Contact RSPCA for assistance with pets, livestock (including horses), and wildlife by calling 1300 278 358.
  • Animal safe places have been assessed by NSW Agriculture and Animal Services for safety and suitability for people who have no other arrangements in place and need to relocate their animals, including larger animals such as horses, cattle and sheep. To make arrangements to bring your animals to an Animal Safe Place, call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647.

Mental health support

Disaster response guidance

  • This guide from the Victorian Council of Social Service seeks to assist communities and community sector organisations to respond during the phases of emergency management: planning, response, relief and recovery, via the lessons learnt primarily in responding over years to the devastation and trauma of Black Saturday.

Flood recovery health information