Last week NCOSS kicked off our regional consultations in the Northern Rivers and Western NSW. Local community organisations and services in and around Lismore, Tweed Heads, Bathurst and Orange gathered to tell NCOSS what we should be asking of an incoming government in the lead-up to the 2019 State Election. Some of the common things we heard included:
- Accessible and affordable housing that meets diverse needs, including more transitional and social housing
- More investment in early childhood education and care, particularly access to flexible and longer term funding
- The need for place-based solutions, and particularly for Aboriginal people so that they can remain connected to country, community and culture
- The need for healthy food programs in schools with a sustainability and capacity building approach
- More support for local innovation and partnerships.
We’re looking forward to hearing what the rest of NSW has to say and will be holding more consultations all the way through to June, with Tamworth and Armidale next week. Register for the consultation closest to you!