Community Development/Engagement Practitioner
Greenacre Area Community Centre
About the position
- Permanent Part Time – 21 hours per week (3 days per week – days negotiable).
- Salary and conditions based on Level 3 of the SCHCADS 2010 pay rates. Starting salary is dependent on experience and qualifications.
- Supportive and professional team environment
- Staff development & access to training opportunities
- Work in the Greenacre CBD
- Paid Christmas leave
- Car park
We are looking for a suitably qualified, experienced person with a passion for community work and a professional work ethic and commitment to the community sector, to join our staff team in this new and exciting role in a busy community centre. Flexibility to work after hours if required is essential.
About the organisation
Greenacre Area Community Centre (GACC) is a not-for-profit community organisation offering a range of services and programs to the local communities of Greenacre, Chullora, Mt Lewis and the wider Canterbury Bankstown Local Government Area.
GACC has been in operation since 1997. Whilst programs and services have evolved over the years in response to community needs and the availability of funding, GACC has retained its focus on providing community capacity building programs for the whole community, with a particular focus on children, young people, families, and people who are socially isolated or disadvantaged.
GACC has built strong local networks and collaborates with other agencies to increase community access to services.
Some of the services offered include:
- Supported playgroup
- School holiday activities
- Counselling and case work
- Educational, social and recreational classes/groups
- Community Events
- Information and referral
- Drop-in client support
- Work Development Order (WDO) Program
- Food Share
- Tertiary Student Placements
- Tax Help
- Hall Hire
To engage with local residents using community development/ community engagement strategies to identify unmet and emerging community needs and issues and develop appropriate programs.
To contribute to the implementation of our contractual agreement with Family and Community Services by supporting or delivering programs for the TEI target groups including: vulnerable children, young parents, youth, families and their communities including refugees, migrants, CALD communities, social housing tenants, grandparents as carers and other isolated groups.
To support and expand centre based activities and groups/liaise with group leaders/teachers/facilitators
- A diploma/degree in Social Work, Social Sciences, Community Development, Community Welfare plus minimum 3 years’ employment experience in a related field
- Community development experience
- Community engagement skills
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and supporting groups
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing community programs
- Ability to promote programs and activities to the broader community using a range of mediums
- Proven submission writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills (verbal and written) including cross cultural communication skills
- Knowledge and awareness of key issues impacting on local disadvantaged communities
- High skill level in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and social media platforms
- Current NSW drivers licence and access to a comprehensively insured vehicle
- Experience working with volunteers and/or students
- Knowledge of the Canterbury Bankstown LGA.
- Child protection legislation requires preferred applicants to be subject to WWCC checks