The Women’s Activities and Self Help House Inc. (The WASH House) is a resource centre for women that envisage a community in which women exercise equal rights, choose their own destiny and have a safe environment for themselves and their children. We work towards this by providing information, community development, counselling, support services and group work. The WASH House is a feminist service run by women, for women.
The organisation has been established in the area for over 35 years as a support and resource centre for women. Over this time, the WASH House has grown and evolved to run a range of programs including Staying Home Leaving Violence, Counselling, Community Engagement events, and Information and Referral Services.
The aim of the WASH House is to reduce the impact of poverty, social disadvantage and violence on the lives of women and girls in Mt. Druitt and Blacktown. We do this through the provision of women-centered, quality, appropriate, timely, culturally sensitive and accessible services.
The WASH House envisages a community in which women exercise equal rights, choose their own destiny and have a safe environment for themselves and their children. We work towards this by providing information, community development, counseling, support services and group work.
The WASH House believes in:
- The provision of high quality and timely services
- The provision of equitable, accessible, affordable and appropriate services
- Mutual respect and enhancing women’s options and opportunities
- Collaboration with likeminded services to promote the wellbeing of women in our community
- The provision of culturally appropriate services that reflect the different needs of our clients
- The provision of services that are responsive to the needs of client and are holistic
- The right of women to determine the nature of assistance they seek from us, including the involvement of non-violent male partners in family programs
- The right of women and children to live in a safe environment free from/of violence and discrimination
Objectives of the WASH House
- To provide a drop-in advice and support service to women in crisis
- To provide an information, referral and advice service to the local community
- To provide education, counselling, support and group work to women and girls in the Mt. Druitt and Blacktown district
- To advocate on behalf of clients and issues affecting women in the Mt. Druitt and Blacktown district
- To undertake projects that develop the options and opportunities of the Mt. Druitt and Blacktown community
- To provide free services to women who access our centre and services
- To develop and maintain strong community links through establishing networks within the community
- To facilitate community participation in determining the activities and future directions of the Centre
- To ensure the Centre is managed in the interests of women and children in the Mt. Druitt and Blacktown district
Benefits of working at The WASH House
- Be part of an organisation that is well established in the community as a safe place for women to seek assistance, support, learning, counselling, friendship and social activities
- Make a difference in women’s lives every day
- Participate in a wide range of fun and informative community events and activities
- Boost your take home pay with Salary Packaging
- Enjoy above award leave provisions and team days