The position is a combination of direct work and engagement with Young People and communities from Refugee Backgrounds.
|February 23, 2024
|NCOSS Community Jobs
|Community Development, Psychology & Counselling, Social Work
|Community, Family, Children and Youth, Health, Mental Health and Counselling
|Illawarra, South Coast
- Tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline such as youth work, community development, health or the social sciences and significant experience in the area.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in working with children and young people from refugee background and understanding of the effect of Torture and Trauma and its impact on resettlement in the Rural and Regional area of Wollongong.
- Bi-lingual in a community language relevant to refugee background communities living in Wollongong, NSW
- Knowledge and understanding of youth and welfare services, networks and resources, and ability to collaborate and access those relevant to the areas of individuals and family needs.
- Demonstrated skills and experience in Group Work.
- Ability to liaise with the wider school community to organise and participate in youth focused activities and support school teachers, counsellors and the wider sector.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team within a multicultural environment, including well-developed oral, written & interpersonal communication skills and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Current NSW Drivers License.
*This position is considered child-related employment and will require a Working with Children Background Check and a National Police Check.
**This role is a Category A role. It is mandatory for Category A workers to meet and maintain the vaccination. criteria (as per the current NSW Health and STARTTS policies) including annual Influenza vaccinations. Two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine will be required to provide a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status. If successful you must provide evidence of vaccination.
Additionally, vaccination and/or assessment is required for Category A workers for the following transmissible diseases – measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and tuberculosis. If successful you must also provide evidence of vaccination and/or assessment.
Should you not be able to comply with vaccination requirements before your commencement date, the offer of employment may be withdrawn.
If you have a medical reason for why you cannot be vaccinated, a medical contraindication evidence will be required.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and delivery of training programs and/or understanding of adult education principles.
- LR License or willingness to obtain one.
Position No: 1073-M
Enquiries: Jo McGregor: RRCD Team Leader on (02) 9646 6700
Work Type: Full-time; 38 hours per week. Contract up to 28 February 2025 (Continuation subject to ongoing funding)
Vaccination Requirement: Category A.
Salary: Health Education Officer, or other relevant classification based on qualifications, experience and requirements of the role. A generous salary packaging scheme is also offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please ensure you address the selection criteria as thoroughly as possible.
- Complete a STARTTS Application for Employment Form
- Write a Statement Against the Selection Criteria outlining how you meet the selection criteria (see the guide “How to apply for a job at STARTTS”)
- Submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Provide copies of relevant Qualifications if applicable (overseas qualification must be assessed by an appropriate Australian body to be considered)
- Statements of Service from previous relevant roles (if applicable, please ask us for a sample)
- A cover letter is optional.
- Email your application and supporting documents to: STTS-Jobs@health.nsw.gov.au
Closing date: Friday 23 February 2024
NB: Depending on the role, if appointed, you may need a current ‘NSW Working With Children Check’ clearance, follow this link for information on how to apply of your check: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant
Do you want to work in one of Australia’s leading organisations providing treatment and rehabilitation to torture and trauma survivors; that’s quality focused, diverse & committed to making a difference in the lives of vulnerable people in communities?
Come & join us!
"STARTTS is a not-for-profit Affiliated Health Organisation focused on providing a broad range of services to refugees in NSW. The focus of STARTTS approach is on building capacity and empowering people and communities to take control over their own lives, using a strengths-based approach and building on individual, family, community and cultural strengths."
|Jo McGregor: RRCD Team Leader
|(02) 9646 6700