- Join a team providing practical legal help to people experiencing homelessness
- Protect basic rights and promote reform to tackle homelessness
- Permanent, full-time position with 4 days considered
About PIAC & HPLS
The Public Interest Advocacy Centre is a leading social justice law and policy centre. We build a fairer, stronger society by tackling injustice and inequality.
PIAC offers a diverse and inclusive workplace where:
- Wellbeing is actively promoted and flexibility is supported
- We are committed to the professional development of our staff
- Advantageous salary packaging options are available.
The Homeless Persons’ Legal Service (HPLS) provides people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness with legal help, to protect their human rights and progress our vision of a community where everyone has a safe and secure home.
HPLS volunteer lawyers provide free legal assistance through outreach clinics, primarily located at specialist homelessness services in Sydney. PIAC employs a team of in-house staff, with the majority of legal assistance being provided by external pro bono lawyers, coordinated and supervised by the HPLS team.
About the position
Reporting to the Principal Solicitor, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the HPLS civil practice. You will ensure effective and efficient:
- provision of legal services including developing relationships with our partners
- risk management and compliance across the HPLS civil practice
- design and delivery of the continuing legal training program for HPLS lawyers.
You will also identify systemic issues arising out of the legal practice and inform PIAC’s policy and law reform work.
You have an understanding of the issues facing people experiencing homelessness, experience leading a busy legal team and are ready to step into a Managing Solicitor role with:
- 5+ years post admission legal practice experience
- Experience managing key external stakeholder relationships
- Eligibility to apply for an unrestricted practicing certificate in NSW.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people with disability are encouraged to apply.
If you would like to contribute to breaking the cycle of disadvantage for people experiencing homelessness, please send your resume along with a covering letter and responses to the knowledge, skills and experience section included in the position description.
Inquiries should be directed to Jonathon Hunyor via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application to email@example.com, including Managing Solicitor, HPLS in the subject field.
There is no closing date for applications. We encourage you to contact us to discuss the role and submit an application as soon as possible.
|February 22, 2024
|NCOSS Community Jobs
|Housing & Homelessness
|Full Time, Part Time
|$120K - $150K
How to Apply
Please submit your resume along with a covering letter and responses to the knowledge, skills and experience section included in the attached position description. Your application should be no longer than 6 pages in total.
Public Interest Advocacy Centre
|02 8898 6500