The position is to provide a comprehensive assessment, referral and counselling service to Refugee and Special Humanitarian Program entrants living in the Coffs Harbour region of NSW.
|Applications Close||December 15, 2023|
|Job Board||NCOSS Community Jobs|
|Job Category||Psychology & Counselling, Social Work, Training & Education|
|Job Field||Community, Multiculturalism & Diversity|
|Employment Basis||Full Time|
|Location||Northern Rivers NSW|
- Tertiary qualifications in health, counselling, behavioural or social sciences.
- Demonstrated assessment and counselling experience in a cross-cultural context.
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues affecting refugees in particular resettlement issues, and the effects of torture on individuals, young people, families, and communities.
- Relevant group work and training skills.
- Knowledge of the cultures and health needs of refugee communities in Coffs Harbour and Northern NSW.
- Knowledge and experience in community development, community liaison and advocacy.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team within a multicultural team and with minimum supervision.
- Current NSW Driver’s Licence.
*This position is considered child-related employment and will require a Working with Children Background Check and a National Police Check.
*This role is a Category A role: It is mandatory for Category A workers to meet and maintain the vaccination criteria (as per the current NSW Health and STARTTS policies) including annual Influenza vaccinations. Two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine will be required to provide a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status. If successful you must provide evidence of vaccination.
Additionally, vaccination and/or assessment is required for Category A workers for the following transmissible diseases – measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and tuberculosis. If successful you must also provide evidence of vaccination and/or assessment.
Should you not be able to comply with vaccination requirements before your commencement date, the offer of employment may be withdrawn.
If you have a medical reason for why you cannot be vaccinated, a medical contraindication evidence will be required.
- Experience in working with children and adolescents in a clinical setting.
- Knowledge of local communities in Coffs Harbour and available services.
Enquiries: Gordana Hol on 02 9646 6700
Work Type: Full-time; 38 hours per week. Contract up to 30 June 2025 (Continuation subject to ongoing funding)
Location: Coffs Harbour NSW
Travel Requirement: Required to travel to Armidale on a fortnightly basis to provide counselling. Vaccination Requirement: Category A.
Salary: Health Education Officer, or other relevant classification based on qualifications, experience and requirements of the role. A generous salary packaging scheme is also offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please ensure you address the selection criteria as thoroughly as possible.
- Complete a STARTTS Application for Employment Form
- Write a Statement Against the Selection Criteria outlining how you meet the selection criteria (see the guide “How to apply for a job at STARTTS”)
- Submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Provide copies of relevant Qualifications if applicable (overseas qualification must be assessed by an appropriate Australian body to be considered)
- Statements of Service from previous relevant roles (if applicable, please ask us for a sample)
- A cover letter is optional.
- Email your application and supporting documents to: STTS-Jobs@health.nsw.gov.au
Closing date: Friday 15 December 2023
NB: Depending on the role, if appointed, you may need a current ‘NSW Working With Children Check’ clearance, follow this link for information on how to apply of your check: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant
Do you want to work in one of Australia’s leading organisations providing treatment and rehabilitation to torture and trauma survivors; that’s quality focused, diverse & committed to making a difference in the lives of vulnerable people in communities?
Come & join us!
"STARTTS is a not-for-profit Affiliated Health Organisation focused on providing a broad range of services to refugees in NSW. The focus of STARTTS approach is on building capacity and empowering people and communities to take control over their own lives, using a strengths-based approach and building on individual, family, community and cultural strengths."
|Phone number||02 9646 6700|