This role provides individual/group treatment to children and adolescents and liaising with schools in the area.
|March 12, 2024
|NCOSS Community Jobs
|Psychology & Counselling, Social Work, Training & Education
|Community, Multiculturalism & Diversity
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in health, counselling, behavioural or social sciences.
- Demonstrated understanding of refugee issues, and the effects of torture and trauma on families, children, and adolescents from a refugee background.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct individual assessment and short to medium term interventions with children and adolescents.
- Demonstrated experience in running groups with children and adolescents.
- Demonstrated understanding of the NSW Education system and needs of children and adolescents.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office and relevant experience in conducting training including ability to work independently and as part of a multidisciplinary team within a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated advocacy and community development skills and experience.
- Current NSW Driver’s License.
*This position is considered child-related employment and will require a Working with Children Background Check and a National Police Check.
**This role is a Category A role. It is mandatory for Category A workers to meet and maintain the vaccination criteria (as per the current NSW Health and STARTTS policies) including annual Influenza vaccinations. Two doses of an approved COVID-19 vaccine will be required to provide a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status. If successful you must provide evidence of vaccination.
Additionally, vaccination and/or assessment is required for Category A workers for the following transmissible diseases – measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chickenpox), hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough) and tuberculosis. If successful you must also provide evidence of vaccination and/or assessment.
Should you not be able to comply with vaccination requirements before your commencement date, the offer of employment may be withdrawn.
If you have a medical reason for why you cannot be vaccinated, a medical contraindication evidence will be required.
- Relevant experience in conducting consultancy and support to school counsellors and teachers working with refugee children and adolescents.
- Community development skills and experience in a multicultural context.
Position No: 1165-1
Enquiries: Manuel Morantes; Direct Services Senior Team Leader/Counsellor on (02) 9646 6700
Work Type: Full-time; 38 hours per week. Contract up to 30 June 2025 (Continuation subject to ongoing funding)
Location: Sydney Metropolitan area
Vaccination Requirement: Category A.
Salary: Health Education Officer, or other relevant classification based on qualifications, experience and requirements of the role. A generous salary packaging scheme is also offered.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, please ensure you address the selection criteria as thoroughly as possible.
- Complete a STARTTS Application for Employment Form
- Write a Statement Against the Selection Criteria outlining how you meet the selection criteria (see the guide “How to apply for a job at STARTTS”)
- Submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Provide copies of relevant Qualifications if applicable (overseas qualification must be assessed by an appropriate Australian body to be considered)
- Statements of Service from previous relevant roles (if applicable, please ask us for a sample)
- A cover letter is optional.
- Email your application and supporting documents to: STTS-Jobs@health.nsw.gov.au
Closing date: Monday 26 February 2024
NB: Depending on the role, if appointed, you may need a current ‘NSW Working With Children Check’ clearance, follow this link for information on how to apply of your check: https://ocg.nsw.gov.au/working-children-check/applicant
Do you want to work in one of Australia’s leading organisations providing treatment and rehabilitation to torture and trauma survivors; that’s quality focused, diverse & committed to making a difference in the lives of vulnerable people in communities?
Come & join us!
"STARTTS is a not-for-profit Affiliated Health Organisation focused on providing a broad range of services to refugees in NSW. The focus of STARTTS approach is on building capacity and empowering people and communities to take control over their own lives, using a strengths-based approach and building on individual, family, community and cultural strengths."
|Manuel Morantes; Direct Services Senior Team Leader/Counsellor
|(02) 9646 6700