- Permanent, Fulltime Position, 70 Hours per fortnight.
- Work to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities.
- ACON provides a colourful, nurturing, and fun workplace.
ACON provides services to people living with or affected by HIV, and to sexuality and gender diverse people (LGBTQ+ community). This position is responsible for:
Planning and delivering health promotion and community development responses for people with HIV (PWH) and sexuality and gender diverse communities in Regional NSW. This position involves frequent travel within NSW.
ACONs Regional Health Promotion Services:
ACON provides outreach to regional areas of NSW to extend the reach of our services, campaigns and health messages. We seek to provide a regular connection and build relationships with regional LGBTQ+ communities and people with HIV. Our Hunter outreach team is based in Newcastle and visit l NSW towns and sites in the Hunter, Central Coast, New England, and Western NSW regions regularly to undertake peer education, health promotion, and community development.
The role’s main tasks and responsibilities:
· Targeted evidence-based health promotion, community development and engagement activities with PWH and LGBTQ+ communities and individuals
· Delivery of peer education in partnership with community-based organisations, Local Health Districts and other relevant stakeholders
· Support the regional implementation of ACON’s state-wide HIV prevention strategy and other key LGBTQ+ health promotion initiatives.
· Work in partnership with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander communities and services to meet the HIV and sexual health promotion needs of LGBTQ+ Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including Brotherboys and Sistergirls.
· Establish, maintain and strengthen partnerships.
· Coordinate LGBTQ+ inclusion and HIV and sexual health outreach at community events.
· Implement a range of online outreach activities, including maintaining a social media presence, and engage in health promotion across other mediums accessed by ACON’s communities.
· Act as a gateway by engaging with community members, informing and facilitating referrals to ACON state-wide services, Local Health Districts, or other service providers.
· Support local ACON health and wellbeing services, including volunteering, education, group activities and HIV/STI testing, as peer workers.
· Actively participate in and contribute to an ongoing process of supervision, team meetings, quality improvement and professional development.
Job Requirements (Skills and Experience):
1. Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of community development and health promotion programs within a community organisation context.
2. Demonstrated understanding of sexual and general health issues and the information needs of gay men and the sexuality and gender diverse community.
3. Proven ability to plan and undertake health promotion outreach activities across a wide geographical area and to provide appropriate client referrals as required.
4. Ability to meet deadlines when working independently or remotely when there are competing demands and timeframes.
5. High level interpersonal skills including excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work as a member of a team.
6. Demonstrated high level skills in the establishment and management of a range of internal and external stakeholder relationships and a proven ability to respond appropriately to competing demands and interests.
7. Understanding of and commitment to ACON’s rural and regional communities, particularly people with HIV.
8. Applicants must provide evidence of double Covid 19 Vaccination, in addition to any other vaccination required to perform the role.
9. A current NSW driver’s licence and ability to travel frequently.
Salary: $74,000 to $90,000 pa (total remuneration package inc. superannuation and leave loading) – commensurate with skills, qualifications, and experience. You may also elect to salary package a portion of your salary (up to $30,000 gross-up value) tax-free.
Hours: Permanent, Full-time, (70 hours per fortnight)
Location: This position is located at the ACON Hunter office, Newcastle NSW.
For more information, questions, or if you would like to discuss this role, please contact:
Kage Gold, Acting Regional Manager, Hunter, firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 4962 7700
Milo Prado, Acting Team Leader Health Promotion, email@example.com or (02) 4962 7700
If this sounds like the position and organisation you’ve been looking for, find out how to apply at:
Applications Close 5 November 2023 at midnight
|Applications Close||November 26, 2023|
|Job Board||NCOSS Community Jobs|
|Job Category||Community Development|
|Employment Basis||Full Time|
|Salary Range||$66,000 — $80,000|
|Location||Newcastle & Hunter|
· Demonstrated experience in the development, implementation and evaluation of community development and health promotion programs within a community organisation context.
· Demonstrated understanding of HIV, sexual health, and the general health issues and the information needs of gay, bisexual, and men who have sex with men (GBMSM) and the sexuality and gender diverse community.
· Proven ability to plan and undertake peer education and health promotion outreach activities across a wide geographical area and to provide appropriate client referrals as required.
· Ability to meet deadlines when working independently or remotely when there are competing demands and timeframes.
· High-level interpersonal skills, including excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work as a member of a team.
· Demonstrated high-level skills in the establishment and management of a range of internal and external stakeholder relationships and a proven ability to respond appropriately to competing demands and interests.
· Understanding of and commitment to ACON’s rural and regional communities, particularly people with HIV.
· Applicants must provide evidence of up-to-date Covid 19 Vaccination, in addition to any other vaccination required to perform the role.
· A current NSW driver’s licence and ability to travel frequently.
· Qualifications or a willingness to obtain qualifications in health promotion, public health, community development, healthcare, adult education, and/or a Certificate IV in Workplace Assessment and Training.
How to Apply
You must email us the following three documents in MS-Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1) Your completed ACON application form – with all the details filled in
2) Your Cover Letter outlining how you meet the Selection Criteria
Tell us how you meet each of the Selection Criteria in the Position Description in detail.
Tell us how your skills and experience relate to the requirements of the role and how you’d use them to excel in this job.
To do this, please address each criterion separately. You should use statements with examples that clearly demonstrate your competency in a particular area.
Applicants who do not demonstrate that they meet the requirements of the position will not be invited to attend an interview.
3) Your Resume
Tell us about your current and previous employment and your education. Be sure to include:
1. Your Name, Contact Details and preferred Pronouns.
2. Your Education including any degrees you have received, the institution and its location and the date of your graduation. You might also want to include your major/minor fields, any honours, and publications.
3. Your Work Experience including jobs, internships, and volunteer work.
ACON Health Limited
ACON is an EEO employer. As part of our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, people with HIV and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are strongly encouraged to apply.