NSW Legislative Council Parliamentary Inquiries Workshop (in-person event)
November 9 @ 8:45 am - 1:00 pmFree
This well-regarded learning event is now back, face-to-face!
Wednesday 10 August
Wednesday 9 November (same content as 10 August)
8:45 am-1:00 pm
NSW Parliament House, 6 Macquarie St Sydney (click for venue access guidelines and for transport options)
This workshop is jointly brought to you by the NSW Council for Social Service (NCOSS) and the NSW Legislative Council. It is designed for people working in policy, advocacy or management in the New South Wales community sector, whose work potentially involves taking part in Parliamentary Inquiries.
It is FREE to attend, but numbers are limited and RSVP is required (please advise ahead of time if you're no longer able to attend, so your spot may be released if a wait list is in place, thank you).
Please scroll down the page to reserve your place on one of the two dates.
How to have your say and maximise your influence
- Do you work for a non-government organisation and want to know more about Parliamentary Inquiries, so that you can participate and influence policy?
- Do you want to build your skills in writing submissions or in appearing as a witness?
This workshop is most useful for people who have limited or no experience in writing submissions or taking part in hearings. It is also well-regarded by those who would like to refresh their knowledge and skills in the subject areas.
Discussions are facilitated by staff members of the NSW Legislative Council parliamentary committees, as well as by the NCOSS Policy and Research team.
The emphasis will be on practical tips for effective advocacy and participation, including:
- Parliamentary Committees and the Inquiry process
- Using Inquiries Strategically
- A Parliament Committee member's perspective: what Inquiries achieve, what makes a good submission, what makes an effective witness
- How to write effective submissions
- The hearing process and tips for witnesses
Some feedback from previous participants:
- This is a fantastic workshop that many people would be interested in attending!
- Getting a Member of Parliament to come and give their perspective about the Inquiry process was most useful. Everything was really good.
- A balanced range of how the information was provided- case studies, verbal, visual, guest speaker. (Made it) easy to understand a fairly complex process.
Queries about this event to: email@example.com (Attn: Training)