NSW Legislative Council Parliamentary Inquiries Workshop
December 30 @ 8:30 am - 1:00 pmFree
This event has been completed. Please watch this space for any update on future workshops.
This well regarded learning event is back!
In-person session jointly brought to you by the NSW Council for Social Service (NCOSS) and the NSW Legislative Council-Committees. Designed for people working in policy, advocacy or management in the New South Wales community sector, whose work potentially involves taking part in Parliamentary Inquiries.
Wednesday 6 December 2023
8:45 am (for 9:00 am start) to 1:00 pm (light morning tea is provided)
NSW Parliament House (Macquarie Room), 6 Macquarie St Sydney
How to have your say and maximise your influence
- Do you work for a non-government organisation and want to know more about Parliamentary Inquiries, so that you can participate and influence policy?
- Do you want to build your skills in writing submissions or in appearing as a witness?
This workshop is most useful for people who have limited or no experience in writing submissions or taking part in hearings. It is also well-regarded by those who would like to refresh their knowledge and skills in the subject areas.
Discussions are facilitated by staff members of the NSW Legislative Council parliamentary committees, as well as by the NCOSS Policy and Research team.
The emphasis will be on practical tips for effective advocacy and participation, including:
- Parliamentary Committees and the Inquiry process
- Using Inquiries Strategically
- A Parliament Committee member's perspective: what Inquiries achieve, what makes a good submission, what makes an effective witness
- How to write effective submissions
- The hearing process and tips for witnesses
2023 session program-to follow.
Check out the 2022 PROGRAM.
Some feedback from previous participants:
- This is a fantastic workshop that many people would be interested in attending!
- Getting a Member of Parliament to come and give their perspective about the Inquiry process was most useful. Everything was really good.
- A balanced range of how the information was provided- case studies, verbal, visual, guest speaker. (Made it) easy to understand a fairly complex process.
It is FREE to attend, but numbers are limited and RSVP is required.
Please scroll farther down the page to register.
To early registrants, please advise at any time if you're no longer able to attend, so your spot may be released to someone in the wait list, thank you.
Queries about this event to: advocacy at ncoss.org.au