When NCOSS members come together we are a powerful force for change.
Our members have been critical in achieving the following in the recent years alone:
1in7 Campaign – NCOSS members came together to campaign to reduce child poverty in NSW and ensure better life outcomes for the 1 in 7 children growing up in poverty in our state. The campaign had key asks (link) for the NSW government to take action on cost of living, education, health, housing and connectedness for children and young people.
- Ensuring more children and young people will be healthier and achieve better educational outcomes through funding for breakfast programs across 500 schools with priority given to those in low socioeconomic areas.
- Helping more children develop to their full potential through increased funding for Early Childhood Education and Care and ensuring universal access to two years of preschool education.
- Expansion of nurse-led home visiting programs for vulnerable families to ensure children grow up in safe and nurturing home environments
- Increased social and affordable housing stock for young people to ensure children and young people live in stable and secure housing
Pre-Budget Submissions – Each year NCOSS consults widely across the state to hear from our members, communities and people experiencing poverty and disadvantage on their key issues, challenges and solutions they see working. We distil what we hear into a clear, costed set of budget recommendations and advocate to government to see this change. Recently secured PBS recommendations:
- Providing dedicated mental health and wellbeing support to young people in schools through the NSW Government funding 100 additional school counsellors or psychologists and additional 350 student support officers across NSW.
- Giving children and young people a healthy start in life through increased investment in childhood obesity prevention and expansion of the Active Kids Rebate Program
- A $1.86 million injection into community legal centres that will help disadvantaged members in the community navigate the legal system and help prevent legal issues spiraling out of control leading to imprisonment, homelessness and violence.
- Securing increased funding for oral health services and clean drinking water for more regional and rural communities
- NCOSS joined the Stand by Me (link) Campaign which secured a funding extension for disability advocacy organisations in NSW in the midst of transition to the NDIS
- Securing fee free training for people experiencing domestic and family violence
Social and Affordable Housing Fund
- NCOSS partnered with the NSW Government and Infrastructure Partnerships Australia to develop and introduce the billion dollar Social and Affordable Housing Fund
- NCOSS members have come together to build a better working relationship between the government and the sector around contracting, commissioning and benchmarking through the Social Innovation Council, including the introduction of a consistent Human Services Agreement and benchmarking framework.
Investing for Good
- NCOSS has engaged with cross-sector leaders in the impact investment ecosystem to ensure that the community sector can access funding opportunities provided by impact investment in NSW.
- NCOSS has delivered a comprehensive awareness and capacity building program of events (including the annual Investing for Good conference) to ensure that members are investment ready and well-networked.
Join us today to be part of making the change you want to see in NSW!