Jesuit Refugee Service
This exciting new position requires an experienced community organising or community development professional who is skilled at building and supporting localized action across geographies and who is passionate about the rights of refugees and people seeking asylum.
About the organisation
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate for the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced people.
This Community Organiser role is critical to fulfilling Goal 4 of JRS Australia’s new strategic plan: “to collectively grow a powerful movement for systemic change that includes evidence-based advocacy, lobbying, community organising, and campaigning.”
The Community Organiser will be responsible for consolidating JRS Australia’s organising pilot (2018 – 2019) in New South Wales. The Community Organiser will be responsible for facilitating the creation of Catholic action groups in Sydney. The Community Organiser will also support parish social justice groups and leaders to shift attitudes in their local communities, meet their local decision-makers, and provide practical support (eg. food bank donations) and other forms of financial support to refugees and people seeking asylum through JRS Australia’s work.
- Demonstrated experience in community organising, advocacy, campaigning, or community engagement within a civil society, youth, or faith-based community setting.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, train, support, and work in partnership with community leaders to achieve defined social justice goals.
- Outstanding networking and relationship building skills and ability to engage positively with different stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, train, and supervise volunteers.
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear written campaigning and advocacy documentation and analysis (eg. training documentation, flyers, calls to action).
- Experience coordinating/organising events.
- Outstanding communications skills and ability to motivate others
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Well-developed time management and organisational skills, with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities with minimal direction.
- Understanding of the mission and values of JRS and the Australian Jesuit Province.
- Commitment to human rights, gender equality, non-discrimination and social change
- Understanding of, and a passion for the rights of people seeking asylum and refugees.
- Commitment to working within current Equal Employment opportunities (EEO), Work Health and Safety (WH&S), and child protection legislation.
- A current NSW Police record check and NSW working with children check or willingness to undertake one.
- A good understanding of issues concerning people seeking asylum and refugees.
- Strong networks with Catholic communities, organisations, and leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate within Catholic parish, school, or community settings.
- Experienced design skills with use of Adobe suite, Illustrator, Photoshop and/or Canva.
- Experience with email marketing software such as MailChimp.