Aboriginal Project and Engagement Officer (Fixed Term)
Macarthur Disability Services Ltd
Macarthur Disability Services Ltd has been providing support to people with a disability, frail aged and their carers for over 30 years. We actively promote the rights and aspirations of people with a disability to enrich lives and roles in the community through the provision of choice, opportunity and innovative service design.
MDS is seeking to employ a Fixed Term Aboriginal Project and Engagement Officer for our Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP). This position engages with local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities/organisations and mainstream organisations to consult and develop capacity that aim to increase service access by people from Aboriginal background, especially in relation to implementation of the Aged Care Reforms.
Key Responsibilities for this position include:
- Develop initiatives to enable local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities to acquire knowledge and access to the CHSP service system
- Research and remain up-to-date with the needs of the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander CHSP target population
- Promote the services of Aboriginal and mainstream CHSP services to the Aboriginal community
- Identify and initiate opportunities for collaborative projects and partnerships that build sector and community sustainability towards service access for people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
The successful applicant will have:
- Be from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background and have close ties to the local Aboriginal communities
- Certificate IV (or higher) in a social/community services qualification or equivalent demonstrated community sector development experience
- Demonstrated community project planning, development and outcome reporting experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of aged care service system and experience assisting people to access the CHSP
- Community engagement and networking experience to establish collaborative sector partnerships
- Knowledge of the Macarthur and Wingecarribee regions especially in the context of people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background
- Current Drivers Licence and access to your own motor vehicle.
- Understanding of the issues of older people and their carers
The Position is fixed term fulltime on a flexi-time contract until June 2020. This role is covered under the SCHCADS Award at a Level 5 Classification ($39.15 - 41.20). Also offered is salary packaging, flexible working hours, mobile phone and leave loading.