FAMILY VIOLENCE SUPPORT WORKER - MALE SERVICE
Relationships Australia NSW (Big Splash on behalf of RANSW)
- Exciting opportunity for practitioners with a background working with in domestic and family violence (DFV)
- Leading Not-For-Profit Organisation
- Full time role - 5 days per week
- Based in Newcastle or Illawarra - 2 roles available
- Salary packaging benefits available
We are looking for two talented individuals with experience in the area of family domestic violence to join us as Family Domestic Violence Support Worker - Male Service for our Family Advocacy Support Service (FASS) program based at Newcastle or Wollongong court house. In this hands on, client focused role you'll make a powerful difference to people, families and communities across New South Wales.
RANSW provides relationship support services for individuals, couples, families and communities. We are a not-for-profit Australian organisation with no religious affiliations. Our goal is to promote relationships that are safe, healthy and resilient.
About the role
These workers provide high quality trauma informed casework and support to male clients only. The program is targeted to support those men currently engaged with the Family Court system and who are either affected by family violence or who have allegations of family violence against them.
The service is funded by Legal Aid NSW who aims to deliver a range of support services and interventions for men who have experienced DFV.
Some of the role responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide high quality support and trauma-informed case work to men affected by family violence;
- Provide information, advocacy and court support before, during and after court, as needed;
- Conduct risk assessment and safety planning for men who have experienced family violence;
- Provide referrals in relation to client's social needs, and case coordination in relation to those services;
- Work collaboratively with the duty lawyers, the WDVCAS in each registry, the FASS Project Officer, WDVCAP, Domestic Violence Unit, Early Intervention Unit and Family Dispute Resolution Unit.
Who we are looking for?
We have two fixed term contract positions available until 30 June 2020, working full time, 5 days per week as per details given below:
Position 1 - This role is based in Wollongong court primarily and at our Centre in Illawarra (Wollongong).
Position 2 - This role is based in Newcastle court primarily and at our Centre in Hunter (Broadmeadow).
Your qualifications, skills and experience will include:
- Tertiary qualifications in Social welfare, Social Science, Psychology, Humanities or equivalent knowledge and experience working in these areas;
- Sound understanding of the dynamics of family violence and its disproportionate impact on women and children, along with understanding the complexities of working with men who use violence and the ability to avoid reinforcing attitudes which promote family violence especially where men use violence and present themselves as the primary victim.
- Excellent client management skills including an ability to work with clients in a trauma informed way.
- Experience with and understanding of the legal process as it relates to Commonwealth family law, State family violence and State child protection jurisdictions as well as related social welfare issues.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with key partners, particularly Legal Aid NSW duty lawyers, Women's Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Services (WDVCASs), Family Law Courts registry, security, judicial officers and other service providers in each registry.