Aboriginal Community Project Officer
Local Community Services Association
This newly created position is an identified Aboriginal Position and is permanent, part-time based in Woolloomooloo. The role is 21 hours per week at SHCADS Award, Level 5. The role has the potential of increasing to full-time hours depending on funding. It will involve some travel across NSW.
The Local Community Services Association (LCSA) represents around 200 Neighbourhood Centres and other locally-based, locally-governed community development organisations across NSW. We advocate on behalf of our members, represent their interests to government and provide them with capacity building and organisational governance support. Our purpose is to provide collaborative leadership. We do this through connecting and resourcing members and communities to promote social justice principles in public policy.
LCSA’s organisational vision is “vibrant local community organisations”. We embrace the values of diversity, integrity, connectedness and inclusion. Our values underpin our work and are integral in achieving our purpose and strategic priorities. As a leading membership organisation LCSA has a number of key roles:
- Engage with and represent the interests of members.
- Support members to build capacity including community engagement, community development and organisational governance.
- Promote engagement, collaboration and communication between our members, communities, government and other stakeholders to support strong regional connections and local communities.
- Share and disseminate sector information and resources to members and stakeholders
The purpose of the Aboriginal Community Project Officer role is to:
- support LCSA members in facilitating engagement between Aboriginal communities and local Neighbourhood Centres
- ensure best practice strategies developed by and with Aboriginal communities are identified, implemented and supported in LCSA member organisations and their local partners and stakeholders
- promote strategies and research that underpins the role of community development and community engagement practices in Aboriginal communities to build safe and resilient communities
This is an exciting opportunity to join the LCSA Team. This role will provide exposure to a variety of stakeholders and suit a dynamic personality interested in developing a career in the not-for-profit sector. LCSA is looking for a candidate who has great people skills, shows initiative, works well with others and takes responsibility for their own learning. This position requires critical thinking and analytical skills, good project management and communication skills with the ability to engage with communities and community representatives in various settings. The Aboriginal Community Project Officer will have both a good understanding of the diverse Aboriginal communities across NSW and ideally experience in working with Aboriginal organisations and their governance structures.
The Aboriginal Community Project Officer will report to and work with a range of staff but will be managed directly by the LCSA Executive Officer. Culturally appropriate external support and supervision is part of the job package.