ACON is here for community health, inclusion, and HIV responses for people of diverse sexualities and genders. We provide a range of services designed to improve the health and wellbeing of our communities.
We’re looking for a committed, innovative and high performing policy professional to use their writing and people skills to influence policy in NSW and advance the rights and health of people with HIV, groups at risk of HIV transmission, and people of diverse genders and sexualities (LGBTQ+).
The position also supports the development of formal grant proposals to better address the needs of our communities.
The position is situated within the Policy, Strategy and Research team, working closely with program experts across divisions and partner organisations.
ACON is committed to providing our people with opportunities for professional development and growth, a safe, fun and flexible work environment, and the scope to deliver innovative, cutting-edge community health programs and services.
|Job Board||NCOSS Community Jobs|
|Job Category||Policy & Research|
|Employment Basis||Full Time, Contract|
- Tertiary qualifications related to policy, public health, gender studies, Indigenous studies, law, or other related fields.
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking high quality policy research and analysis.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing advocacy campaigns to affect change.
- Strong writing skills, including the ability to tailor documents to their intended audiences.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen, empathise and build consensus among different stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team to organise, administer, prioritise, and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of and commitment to ACON’s communities, particularly people with HIV and people of diverse genders and sexualities.
- Knowledge of one or several of the following policy areas: sexual health, alcohol and other drugs, anti-discrimination, disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s health.
- Experience writing grant applications.
- This position develops and implements policy and development activities to achieve established goals and objectives in line with ACON’s Strategic Plan and annual business plans, including the following:
- Develop policy discussion papers and prepare submissions on health-related issues of importance to people living with HIV, groups at risk of HIV transmission and people of diverse genders and sexualities.
- Monitor NSW and national policy and legislative developments affecting ACON’s communities.
- Support the development and implementation of advocacy campaigns to further ACON’s objectives in relation to the health and rights of people living with and at risk of HIV, and people of diverse genders and sexualities.
- Meaningfully engage with internal and external stakeholders to ensure ACON’s policy platform is informed by the lived experiences of people living with HIV or at risk of HIV, and people of diverse genders and sexualities. Support program managers to develop and write grant applications, tenders, and proposals.
- Monitor grant opportunities and update a centralised database to monitor grant applications.
- Support the development and implementation of ACON’s Reconciliation Action Plan, ACON’s Trans and Gender Diverse Blueprint, other population-focused plans, and strategic initiatives.
- Actively participate in and contribute to an ongoing process of supervision, unit meetings, team meetings, general staff meetings, quality improvement and professional development strategies.
How to Apply
For more information and to submit an application, go to https://www.acon.org.au/about-acon/jobs/
All applications must include:
- a completed ACON application form;
- a document addressing the selection criteria (max. 4 pages); and
- your resume highlighting your education, professional & volunteer experience and links to any articles, reports or other publications written by the applicant (max. 3 pages)
For more information about the role please contact, Felix Delhomme, Manager – Policy, Strategy & Research at firstname.lastname@example.org or (02) 9206 2085.
ACON is an Equal Employment Opportunity and encourages people with HIV, people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply.
ACON is Australia’s largest health organisation specialising in community health, inclusion, and HIV responses for people of diverse sexualities and genders.